Saturday, June 30, 2007

On your marks, GO!!!

Babies come when they are ready, period. There is no Get Set, there are no do-overs and no matter how much you prepare, you can never fully be "ready" for their arrival. In our case, that could not have been more true!

Earlier this week the wife began to experience stomach cramps. She did a few of her relaxation techniques (which pretty much means that I rubbed her back for a few hours) and eventually things calmed down and we both went to bed. The next morning the wife went through a few physiological changes and we thought it was best to contact the doctor. They scheduled an appointment for her later that morning. 

I sat at my desk thinking about how the appointment was going. Up to this point in my life, I have heard that this is a natural reaction for all first-time mothers. I had no reason to believe that we would be any different, especially since we weren't due for another 5 weeks! So I treated the situation as such. That was until I got the call from the wife later that afternoon....

Wife:  Babe, I am not sure we're ready
Husband: What???

W: I don't know if I am ready, I am 2cm dilated!
H: What??? What??? Dilated??? What???

W: I know I...
H: What??? Where are you, do I need to take you to the Hospital??

W: I am at the Hospital
H: That's right, ummm do I need to call someone???

W: No, I think I...
H: That's ok, I will come to you. Where are you???

(At this point it helps to point out the source of this mild panic attack)
==========
It helps me to put the pregnancy into perspective so that I can react appropriately. I see the whole process playing out like a ball game. There is:
  • Dressing for the game
  • Pre-game warm-ups
  • Starting line-ups
  • Kick-off
  • 4 quarters
  • Overtime (hopefully not)
  • The Final
Up to this point, I was just about finish dressing for the game and on my way to the field to warm up. When the wife called, it felt like they were about to blow the whistle to kick-off! I just wasn't ready and neither was she. I didn't hear her say 2cm dilated, I just heard dilated (not that any clarity on the issue would have changed my reaction).
==========

Given everything we heard and read about labor & delivery, there was nothing that could have prepared us for that initial reaction when we thought we were about to go into labor. I pride myself on the ability to stay fairly cool under the pressure. On this day, there was nothing cool, calm, or collected about me. 

We ended up going to get lunch together and we talked about some of the essential items that we needed prior to Junior's arrival. I immediately went to pick up a car seat and the wife went home to put her clothes together to pack her bag. 

According to the doctors, the boy can come anytime between this weekend or three weeks from now. There are women who have been 2cm dilated for weeks with no change. Who knows how this will play out. Someone told me that this kid will march to the beat of his own drum and I tend to agree. Whether we are set or not, when it's game time we won't have a choice. Hopefully, I will finish the game with the wife and won't have to be carried off the field. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay dad..that was just a practice... thanks for sharing your reaction. don't worry i think it was pretty normal. with that being said, i suggest you keep a small, brown paper bag with you at all times to help calm the breathing (your breathing) and the panic attack issue. keep mommy calm. in your corner, "abuelita"

Anonymous said...

Every,

You are right, when it is game time, you will know! I loved reading your excitement as you guys await Baby Ware's appearance! Stay calm, it might be a few more days. I ate lunch with Michelle, today, and I don't think she will go this week! Good Luck. We are rooting for you Coach!! The Greens

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I once forgot my helmet and shoulder pads on the sidelines. You don't realize how silly you look without a helmet and shoulder pads out on the field.

I made it to the hospital with plenty of time to spare, only to realize that the only video tape for the recorder already was full of precious moments. It was the second (2) time I was happy I lived in Las Vegas. Four o'clock in the morning shopping is the way to go (I picked up some Doritos too). The epideral came just in time, she didn't even care that I wasn't there and I captured the moment properly.